Post-Master's Certificate – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
UC Multi-Campus Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Master’s Certificate
With California facing an urgent and growing shortage of mental health professionals, the UCLA School of Nursing, in collaboration with the UC Davis and UCSF Schools of Nursing, has launched new remote-access training that will prepare 300 psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners (PMHNPs) over five years.
The first remote-learning, post-master’s certificate of its kind in California, this training is being launched at a time when a shortfall in mental health providers has become widespread across California. Over 50% of people with mental illness in the state are not receiving psychiatric care, and many communities in the San Joaquin Valley and Inland Empire have only half as many psychiatrists as other parts of the state.
The Multi-Campus PMHNP Post-Master’s Certificate training is a 12-month hybrid that combines remote-access education with three in-person sessions and regional clinical training across California. Students can stay in their communities to complete their training.
Upon completion of this training, students will sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center national certification to become a PMHNP.
Schedule and application deadline
Applications are now open for January 2023 entry and close March 1, 2022. Visit the UCSF website for more information on how to apply.
Who can apply
- Nurse practitioners
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Certified nurse midwives
- Registered nurse anesthetists
- A.P.R.N. licensure in California. Nursing license must be recognized as valid for practice within the state of California during the complete course of study.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions, including any programs in which you are currently enrolled
- Goal statement
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
- Resume or C.V.
- English proficiency for non-native speakers (minimum TOEFL score of 92, minimum ILTS score of 7)
Required prerequisite coursework
- Advanced (Lifespan) Physical Health Assessment
- Advanced Pharmacology
- Advanced Pathophysiology
- Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
The following external institutions offer non-matriculated courses:
To learn more, RSVP to attend an Information Session.