Teaching Apprentices (TAs) are selected for their scholarship and promise as teachers. The primary duty of appointees in these titles is assistance in all aspects of instruction (tutoring, grading, advising, sectional teaching, sectional laboratory teaching, field work teaching, limited lecturing). These duties are performed under the supervision of faculty "instructors of record" who are vested with the sole and final responsibility for course content, work assignments, performance evaluations and grading in the assigned course.
TAs are vital to the UCLA School of Nursing academic mission. Nursing TAs work with faculty course instructors in both lecture and clinical courses. SON hires about 25 TAs per quarter, generally at 25% (10 hours/week) or 50% (20 hours/week). TA needs vary from quarter to quarter based on course offerings and faculty preferences.
- To be hired as a TA, you may not hold a per-diem/part-time nurse appointment with any UCLA-affiliated hospital.
- Must be a registered graduate student and maintain 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Be enrolled in at least 12 units each quarter you are hired as a TA (this includes Nursing 375 units).
- Be enrolled in Nursing 375 (TA Practicum) under the faculty member with whom you are working as a TA: 25% TAs will enroll in 2 units/ 50% TAs will enroll in 4 units.
- Have no more than 12 quarters as a TA.
- International students and permanent residents who do not hold a Bachelor's degree from the U.S. must have passed the Test of Oral Proficiency (TOP) examination.
- SON PhD Students must complete Nursing 299D and Nursing 495 offered in Fall quarter.
Submit the TA application and upload your CV.
- Schedule of Classes – Please refer to this website to help plan your availabity for Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters
- Annual Academic Calendar
For Summer Session Courses:
Please note that the following courses are 11 weeks long, not 10 weeks (10 weeks of instruction and 1 week for finals): N164, N165, N461 and N465C. Students must be available to TA for the entire 10 weeks of Session A plus an additional week for finals.