UCLA School of Nursing Clinical Health Clearance Checklist
***This is for Enrolled students only***
In order to practice in clinical settings, it is necessary that you meet all Centers for Disease Control (CDC) required health requirements, as well as other requirements as stipulated by the clinical agencies themselves. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE CLINICAL SETTINGS IF YOU HAVE NOT MET ALL NECESSARY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS.
Documentation of the requirements listed below must be uploaded to CastleBranch: https://portal.castlebranch.com/UQ23 as soon as possible and no later than:
Friday, November 1, 2019 for BS / MECN / MSN Students
- Current American Heart Association only CPR Basic Life Support (BLS) (class only) certification for healthcare providers. Valid for 2 years. (a copy of the front & back of the signed card) Please see links for different BLS/CPR courses.
- Current annual certificate of HIPAA Privacy and Security training: https://hshr.mednet.ucla.edu/s/trainings/policiesprocedures/publish/ocr.htm
- Copy of an annual current respirator Fit Test Card (Front & Back): https://www.uclahealth.org/safety/respiratory-fit-program
- Copy of current RN Licensure** (Required only for MSN students)**
- Background Check – Order through CastleBranch only– https://portal.castlebranch.com/UQ23 Click on the red button "Place Order"; click on "Please Select"; click on "School of Nursing"; Click on your cohort; Select the first selection which includes Background Check+Medical Document Manager – total cost is 77.00 dollars (one-time fee).
- Copy of your Ashe Center Student Health Immunizations list showing your clinical documents have been verified by the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center and you are compliant with all health clearance requirements listed below – this list will be at http://www.studenthealth.ucla.edu/default.aspx (click on Services, Health Clearance, Immunizations, https://www.immunizationrequirement.ucla.edu. If you waive your student heath insurance, please upload documents provided by your individual/personal healthcare provider.
- LA County Fire Card. Valid for 4 years. Visit website for information: https://www.lafirecard.com
The following health clearance items must also be completed, verified by the UCLA – Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center, and your Immunizations listing must be uploaded to CastleBranch as soon as possible and no later than the date listed above.
In order to complete all of the requirements by the deadline, we recommend that you start the Hepatitis B vaccine series as soon as possible, if you do not have a reactive titer on record.
- Current Physical Exam – A complete Physical Exam and a Statement of Good Health from your healthcare provider (on letterhead or a prescription pad) that you are in good health and able to perform the basic duties of a nurse. Letter must include signature and date from your provider.
- Documentation of a current Seasonal Influenza vaccine (annually)
- Documentation of a (TDAP) tetanus/diphtheria/adacel/pertussis vaccine (valid for 10 years)
- (Note: the tetanus/diphtheria vaccine is unacceptable without the pertussis)
- Documentation of one of the following:
- Option 1) A 2 step Tuberculosis (TB) skin test (PPD) within the last 12 months. Documentation must show date and induration. Example: If the results are “negative” then provider must indicate “0 mm” on form. (annually)
- Option 2) Negative IGRA TB Blood test : [Tspot, QuantiFERON Gold] (lab report required) If positive results, A clear chest x-ray report is needed (lab report required) (annually)
- Documentation of a Hepatitis B series (series of three vaccines) and a positive or reactive Hep B Surface Antibody (AB) titer. If negative or non-reactive, a minimum of the first 2 Hep B vaccines must be completed by 11/1/2019. (Lab report required)
- Documentation of a positive Measles titer (Lab report required)
- Documentation of a positive Mumps titer (Lab report required)
- Documentation of a positive Rubella titer (Lab report required)
- Documentation of a positive Varicella Zoster (chicken pox) titer (Lab report required)
Please note: If your blood work comes back “Negative” for any of the immunizations, you must receive the vaccines and have your blood retested for titers. Only “Positive titer results” clears you for your clinical rotation.
**RN License – Required for MSN, PM, PHD & MBA/MSN students only**
If you have questions, please contact Belinda Huntly, email@example.com, 5th Floor, Room 5-946, School of Nursing, Factor Building, Fax: 310-206-3241.
Additional Requirements: CastleBranch/Clinical coordinators will notify you by email if the clinical site you are assigned to has additional health clearance requirements. Some clinical sites require a Urine Drug Screen. This is a separate cost and prices vary depending on where you have the test.