MECN — Admission Requirements
Applications for Fall are now available at www.grad.ucla.edu and will have a November 1, deadline.
MSN/Master's Entry Clinical Nurse applicants must provide evidence of the following:
1. Graduation from a recognized college or university having an accredited baccalaureate program satisfactory to the School of Nursing and the UCLA Graduate Division with an overall scholastic average of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better, or graduation with a baccalaureate degree from an international institution with a program satisfactory to the School of Nursing and the UCLA Graduate Division.
Completion of approved prerequisite courses or equivalent with a minimum grade of C in the subjects listed below. All applicants to the MECN program must complete all approved prerequisite courses (other than Epidemiology) by the end of December 2021 for the Fall 2022 entry. AP course credit will only be accepted for one prerequisite course.
- Chemistry (Inorganic, Organic, and Biochemistry)
- Human Anatomy (Nursing 13 online course offered in the Summer session)
- Human Physiology (Nursing 13 online course offered in the Summer session) (five-year time limit to entry date)
- Introductory Psychology
- Lifespan Development Psychology
- English Composition or Writing (2 courses)
- Group and/or Verbal Communication
2. Personal and academic competence attested through three letters of recommendation.
3. Since written and verbal communication skills are basic to the practice of nursing, it is essential that applicants read, write and speak English well. International applicants from a country in which English is not the first language and medium of instruction are required to pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 87 on the internet-based test, 220 on the computer-based test or 560 paper-based test or complete International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic examination with an overall band score of 7.0 or higher. Scores must be submitted prior to consideration for admission.
Applicants with Military Experience
UCLA School of Nursing will accept qualified student applicants who have completed relevant military education and experiences, have met the University admission requirements, and who present documented equivalency courses. Once admitted, such individuals are eligible for credit by challenge examination. For additional details, read the full policy here. Contact Mark Covin, Director of Recruitment, Outreach and Admissions for further information.