Tuition, Financial Aid & Scholarships – MECN Program
UCLA students are required to pay tuition prior to beginning each term. Tuition is assessed by the Regents of the University of California and is subject to change prior to the beginning of each term. Please refer to the website of the Office of the Registrar for tuition information. The amount shown represents, for planning purposes, estimates of 2019-20 tuition and fees for existing and proposed professional degree programs. Actual tuition, fees, and charges for 2020-21 have yet to be determined by The Regents of the University of California. Accordingly, final figures are subject to change and may differ from the amounts shown.
The UCLA School of Nursing is aware that financial assistance is of the utmost importance while attending school. The purpose of this section is to inform prospective students of the types of assistance available to them.
Nursing Financial Aid
Students who demonstrate financial need according to established federal guidelines may be awarded various types of financial assistance such as fellowships, scholarships and loans.
Types of aid awarded to MECN students:
- Direct Unsubsidized Loan
- Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
UCOP Private Loan Lender List
Important Notice: Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of repayment options including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide.
SB 1289 disclosure statement:
Students considering student loans need to be aware of the differences between federal student loans and private student
- Federal student loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options including, but not limited to, income-based and income-contingent repayment plans, as well as loan forgiveness benefits that private lenders are not required to provide.
- Federal direct loans are available to most students regardless of income. Other qualification criteria do apply. For more information, please visit www.studentloans.gov.
- Private student loan lenders can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions.
- The interest rate on a private loan may depend on the borrower's and/or cosigner's credit rating.
- Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees and students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with, the private student loan included in their financial aid award package before accepting the loan.
- Students should contact the lender of the private student loan or their UC campus' financial aid office if they have any questions about a private student loan.
Some UC campuses offer students their own private (institutional) student loans. Students offered a UC institutional
private student loan should know that:
- Interest rates on UC loans will be fixed, not variable
- UC loans can have a range of interest rate
- UC loans are not awarded based on the credit history of the borrower
UCOP Private Lender List for Health Professionals:
University of California Code of Conduct:
To apply: Students entering the UCLA School of Nursing are advised to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) found at www.fafsa.gov. The priority deadline is March 2. The UCLA code for the FAFSA is 001315.
UCLA Graduate Division Fellowships Support
The UCLA Graduate Division offers several types of need/merit based support. These fellowships are described in the financial support section on www.grad.ucla.edu. Some of these funds are allocated to the School of Nursing to use in the recruitment and retention of outstanding applicants. Please see the listing below.
Graduate Opportunity Fellowship: This program provides fellowships for students who are socioeconomic disadvantaged. This fellowship provides for a $20,000 stipend plus tuition, and, if necessary, nonresident supplemental tuition for the first year only. Applicants compete campus wide.
Nonresident Tuition Fellowship: This fellowship pays the out of state tuition for non-resident students for their first year. One fellowship is generally allocated to the School of Nursing.
University Fellowship: This is a merit based fellowship. The fellowship of $2,000 or more goes toward tuition. Limited funds are allocated to the School of Nursing.
Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) Grant and Audrienne H. Moseley Scholarship: The School of Nursing has limited HRSA grant and Audrienne H. Moseley need based scholarship funds available for MECN students. These are financial need based awards. Applications are emailed to students in May before the academic year begins.
The School of Nursing is able to provide short-term emergency loans to students on an emergency basis. Generally these loans are provided for unexpected expenses or financial aid advances with required repayment in 30 days.
School of Nursing Scholarships
The School offers a number of scholarships to students in the MECN program. Students will receive a scholarship application in May with a due date of June 20th.
School of Nursing Financial Aid Appointment Hours
Monday through Friday 8:00 am-12:00 noon and 1:00 pm-4:30 pm
Please contact: Craig Kusunoki, Director of Financial Aid (310) 825-2583 email@example.com
Address: UCLA School of Nursing Box 951702 2-151 Factor Building Los Angeles, CA 90095-1702
Free scholarship search web sites
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Education/financialaid.htm
- CollegeBoard.com–Paying for college http://www.collegeboard.com/paying/0,1127,6-0-0-0,00.html
- Cost effective college http://www.costeffectivecollege.com/FAIShome.htm
- FastWeb–free scholarship searches http://www.fastweb.com/
- Scholarships.com–free scholarship searches http://www.scholarships.com/
- Mach25 database–free scholarship searches http://www.collegenet.com/mach25/app
- Finaid–The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid http://finaid.org
- The Debt Free Grad–The student's online source for financial advice http://www.debtfreegrad.com/
- Discovering Nursing www.discovernursing.com
- SallieMae Scholarships www.SallieMae.com/scholarships
- School Soup Scholarships www.SchoolSoup.com
- Scholarship Experts www.scholarshipexperts.com