A Leader From the Beginning
Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, whether they are nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists, hospitalists or nurse midwives, are playing a pivotal role in the future of health care. And at UCLA, we are educating the best and the brightest in the profession.
1965 was a pivotal point in our nation’s history. Sweeping social and healthcare reforms included the Voting Rights Act and the launch of Medicare and Medicaid.
With Medicare and Medicaid came challenges and opportunities. These two programs brought increased healthcare coverage for older adults, people with disabilities and those with lower incomes. But the number of primary care clinicians needed to care for this expanded audience decreased.
UCLA has its own place in the early development of educating the nurse practitioner. The Schools of Medicine and Nursing were among the first seven family nurse practitioner programs funded by the Health Resources Service Administration (HRSA) in 1971. In 1994, the school established one of the West’s first (and largest) acute care nurse practitioner programs.
The School of Nursing offers a two-year course of graduate study leading to the Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.) designed to prepare registered nurses with a bachelor's degree in nursing for advanced practice. The M.S.N. Advanced Practice Registered Nurse/Postlicensure program prepares nurse practitioners and clinical nurse specialists.
Advanced practice specialties offered through the UCLA School of Nursing are as follows:
Adult/Gerontology Primary Care
- Adult/Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Specialty
- Adult/Gerontology Occupational and Environmental Health Nurse Practitioner Specialty
Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Population
- Adult/Gerontology – Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gerontology – Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Adult/Gerontology – Dual Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, DUAL Primary Care/Acute Care
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner/Clinical Nurse Specialist - DUAL Acute Care/CNS
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner/Clinical Nurse Specialist
For further information about the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Program, contact:
Mark Covin: email@example.com
Jeimy Gama: firstname.lastname@example.org