Our Commitment to Diversity
The UCLA School of Nursing’s mission is to foster and support an inclusive climate in the SON in which faculty, staff and students feel valued and are treated equitably. This involves consideration of the relations among faculty, faculty and staff, and faculty and students and a commitment to the core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Diversity is essential for excellence in academic endeavors within the SON i.e., teaching research, service
• An inclusive environment is characterized by freedom of expression and dialogue, mutual respect, and consideration of differing viewpoints.
• Acts of micro-aggression, harassment and discriminatory behaviors on the basis of race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religious or political beliefs and immigration status will not be tolerated.
• We abide by the ‘Principles of Community” statement developed by the UCLA Council on Diversity and Inclusion
Council on Diversity and Inclusion
Council Activities Include:
• Serve as an advisory group to the Administration,
• Review findings of the Climate survey and consider next steps
• Develop plans for an educational series and lectures
• Support mentorship strategies for junior and mid-career faculty and students from underrepresented minorities
Members of the Council:
|Deborah Koniak-Griffin, Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion||Jan Mentes (Faculty)||Anita Bralock (Faculty)||Rhonda Younger (Asst. Director, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)|
|Jeffrey Chung (1st year MECN)||Jenny Kim (3rd year undergraduate)||Tammy Bathke (3rd year PhD, graduate)|
With Diversity among UCLA’s highest priorities, Deborah Koniak-Griffin was appointed as the first Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the School of Nursing. In this role, she serves as a focal point for strategy, policy and practice related to increasing diversity and enabling a climate of inclusion within the school, including acting as a resource and strategic liaison to the new Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Jerry Kang.
Dr. Anita R. Bralock has been in the practice of nursing for over 36 years. As an experienced nurse educator, she has taught at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels of nursing education during the past 26 years. She has held various leadership and faculty positions currently is an Associate Adjunct Professor and Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at UCLA, School of Nursing. She is a certified nurse midwife and provides culturally competent care to women from underserved communities. Reducing health disparities among young African American and Latina women is of particular research interest to her. She has authored numerous articles and is a frequent presenter at national and international conferences. Dr. Bralock serves on numerous committees in healthcare and holds membership in several professional organizations such as Sigma Theta Tau.